Family Violence Restraining Orders Lawyer

Domestic Violence Order

FVRO (Family Violence Restraining Order) – Family Domestic Violence Lawyers

At Genuine Legal WA, we know that obtaining a FVRO (Family Violence Restraining Order) can be a sensitive and emotional process. We understand that domestic violence is a serious issue and can have a significant impact on your life and the lives of your loved ones. That’s why we are here to help guide you through the process with care and expertise.

Our team of experienced VRO lawyers are highly skilled in handling FVRO (Family Violence Restraining Order) matters. We have a deep understanding of the legal complexities involved in obtaining and defending these orders. We are committed to providing you with tailored advice that is specific to your unique situation. Our lawyers will take the time to listen to your story and provide you with practical advice and support.

At Genuine Legal WA, we believe that everyone has the right to feel safe in their own home. We are here to assist you in obtaining the necessary legal protection to ensure your safety. We understand that every situation is different and requires a compassionate approach. That’s why we work closely with you to develop a strategy that is specifically tailored to your individual circumstances.

If you are seeking a FVRO (Family Violence Restraining Order or intervention order), or if you have been served with an application, we encourage you to contact us today. Our team is here to help you through this difficult time and provide you with the support and guidance you need. We will work tirelessly to protect your safety and the safety of your loved ones. At Genuine Legal WA, you can trust that you are in good hands.

AVO (Apprehended Violence Order)

In Australia, an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) is a legal order issued by a court to protect a person from potential violence, intimidation, harassment, or other forms of abuse. The purpose of an AVO is to ensure the safety and well-being of the person seeking protection (the protected person) by placing certain restrictions on the person who poses a risk (the defendant).

AVOs are commonly used in cases involving domestic violence, but they can also be issued in situations where there is a reasonable fear of violence or harm from a non-family member. The specific laws and terminology related to AVOs may vary slightly between Australian states and territories, but the general concept remains the same.

When an AVO is issued, it typically includes conditions or prohibitions that the defendant must abide by. These may include:

  1. Restraining the defendant from approaching or contacting the protected person, their family members, or any other specified individuals.
  2. Prohibiting the defendant from going near certain locations, such as the protected person’s home, workplace, or school.
  3. Preventing the defendant from possessing firearms or other weapons.
  4. Imposing any other relevant restrictions necessary to ensure the safety of the protected person.

AVOs are intended to provide legal protection and peace of mind to those who have experienced or are at risk of experiencing violence or abuse. Violating the conditions of an AVO is a criminal offence and can result in legal consequences for the defendant.

If someone is in need of an AVO or seeking more information about the process, speak to the team at Genuine Legal for genuine support. 


Pre-action procedure negotiation/Negotiate agreement for consent orders

Drafting form 11 application for consent order

Preparation, disclosure, correspondence, advice, review all material & representation at a Conciliation Conference

Still Have Questions?

Why is the initial consultation free of charge?

This is one of our firm’s core values. We do not charge and will never start charging for our initial consultations. We believe that everyone has the right to affordable legal advice. Hence, you do not ever have to pay for your consultation, even if you choose to take on our services. 

Do I need to pay if my initial consultation has taken more than 1 hour?

No. We do not put a limit on the length of your consultation. All initial consultations are no obligation and absolutely free of charge.

Do I need to book a consultation or can just walk in?

To guarantee your spot, we advise to book in advance. However, we do have a number of walk-in locations: Victoria Park Office WA, Parramatta Office NSW, Brisbane City Office QLD, Caboolture Office QLD.

Can you tell me in advance how much my matter will cost me?

Yes, we will provide you with a fixed fee quote. Usually, it is possible to provide you with our fixed fee quote after attending a 1-hour free consultation. For complex litigation matters, we will be able to give you a fixed fee quote for a particular stage of your case.

Why do you charge 3 - 10 times less than other law firms?
  1. The first reason is that we are a national law firm. We can offer very low fixed fees because we have a significant volume of matters.
  2. Secondly, we do not charge for communication with our clients and correspondence with other parties and courts. All charges are included in the fixed fee.
  3. Most importantly, we do not complete unnecessary work/documentation. We work in a very efficient results-orientated manner, and do not charge for unnecessary steps (common in most practises).
You are a low-cost firm, does it mean that I will get lower quality representation?

No, it absolutely does not. Our unique business model allows us to charge less; however, the lower price does not reflect the competency of our professionals. Our Directors, Associates, Senior Solicitors, Solicitors and Paralegals are fully experienced in Family Law matters and often deal with very complex cases. We guarantee top quality work.

Do you do Legal Aid work?

No, we do not work on Legal Aid grants. However, we often assist clients who are not eligible for Legal Aid.

Do you charge for emails, phone calls, meetings?

No. All correspondence and communication with our clients is included in the fixed fee.

Am I eligible for a Payment Plan?

Yes, everyone is eligible for a Payment Plan. We neither have a selection criteria, nor do we charge an interest rate with the plan.

Can I choose a traditional hourly rate?

Yes. You can choose traditional hourly rates (optional). We made it low and straightforward, at just $270 per hour (including GST), which is significantly less than other law firms in Australia. However, most matters are handled on a fixed fee basis as it is more cost effective for clients. Our clients prefer a fixed fee. 

What if I cannot afford to pay legal fees upfront?

We do not ask our clients to pay large amounts upfront. We offer clear payment plans. We can commence work on your matter without an initial deposit if you cannot afford one.

Do you charge for your travel and accommodation expenses in case my Court hearing is in a remote location or where you do not have a permanent office?

No, on 1 February 2020 we stopped charging clients for travel & accommodation. These expenses are on us. You pay for actual legal services and representation only.

How can I apply for Divorce if we separated, but continued living in the same home for 12 months prior to applying for divorce?

The general rule is that you must be separated for 12 months before filing an application for Divorce. This is known as ‘separation under the one roof’. In this case, you need to prove to the Court that you were separated during this time.

  • Sole application: This can be done by filing an affidavit yourself and an affidavit by an independent person (family member, friend or neighbour etc).
  • Joint application: If you are applying together with your spouse, you must each file a separate affidavit. If only one of you is able to file an affidavit, then you should also file an affidavit by an independent person.

In your affidavit, you need to prove that there has been a change in the relationship, gradual or sudden, demonstrating that you and your spouse have separated under one roof.

Book a free one hour

Existing clients:

08 6186 0085

New enquiries :

07 2113 4645