Perth Divorce Lawyers – Divorce Proceedings


Divorce Lawyers Perth, WA

Relationships don’t always work out. If your marriage has irretrievably broken down and you are unlikely to reconcile, you may file for divorce. Divorce, in short, is a legal finalisation of a marriage. Divorce orders recognise that a marriage has ended.


Our lawyers are well-equipped to handle both simple and complex divorce cases.

Divorces are handled by the Family Court.

An example of a simple case would be a joint application for divorce (where both parties agree to the separation), and they have been separated for 12 months (living separately). Cases can become more complex if:

  • Only one person wishes to separate (also known as a sole application for divorce)
  • If you both still reside together in the same house (separated under one roof)
  • If you have separated previously, reconciled and separated again
  • There are children under the age of 18 years old to be considered (see also Parenting Matters)
  • There are location-based considerations (such as one party living interstate or overseas)

If you are not married, you cannot submit a divorce application. However, you may still apply for Parenting Orders, Property Orders or Financial Orders. It’s important to note that a divorce does not address any property matters, financial matters, or parenting matters.

Regardless of your situation (be it property or parenting-related), Genuine Legal WA can help. Contact us to receive your free 1-hour initial consultation. One of our divorce lawyers in Perth or Western Australia will help you understand the options available to you, whether you’re required to attend and the processes involved.

Genuine Legal Wa Divorce

Divorce Legal Services

Joint Divorce Application WA

Sole Divorce Application

Joint Application + separated under one roof

Sole Application + separated under one roof

Still Have Questions?

Why is the initial consultation free of charge?

This is one of our firm’s core values. We do not charge and will never start charging for our initial consultations. We believe that everyone has the right to affordable legal advice. Hence, you do not ever have to pay for your consultation, even if you choose to take on our services. 

Do I need to pay if my initial consultation has taken more than 1 hour?

No. We do not put a limit on the length of your consultation. All initial consultations are no obligation and absolutely free of charge.

Do I need to book a consultation or can just walk in?

To guarantee your spot, we advise to book in advance. However, we do have a number of walk-in locations: Victoria Park Office WA, Parramatta Office NSW, Brisbane City Office QLD, Caboolture Office QLD.

Can you tell me in advance how much my matter will cost me?

Yes, we will provide you with a fixed fee quote. Usually, it is possible to provide you with our fixed fee quote after attending a 1-hour free consultation. For complex litigation matters, we will be able to give you a fixed fee quote for a particular stage of your case.

Why do you charge 3 - 10 times less than other law firms?
  1. The first reason is that we are a national law firm. We can offer very low fixed fees because we have a significant volume of matters.
  2. Secondly, we do not charge for communication with our clients and correspondence with other parties and courts. All charges are included in the fixed fee.
  3. Most importantly, we do not complete unnecessary work/documentation. We work in a very efficient results-orientated manner, and do not charge for unnecessary steps (common in most practises).
You are a low-cost firm, does it mean that I will get lower quality representation?

No, it absolutely does not. Our unique business model allows us to charge less; however, the lower price does not reflect the competency of our professionals. Our Directors, Associates, Senior Solicitors, Solicitors and Paralegals are fully experienced in Family Law matters and often deal with very complex cases. We guarantee top quality work.

Do you do Legal Aid work?

No, we do not work on Legal Aid grants. However, we often assist clients who are not eligible for Legal Aid.

Do you charge for emails, phone calls, meetings?

No. All correspondence and communication with our clients is included in the fixed fee.

Am I eligible for a Payment Plan?

Yes, everyone is eligible for a Payment Plan. We neither have a selection criteria, nor do we charge an interest rate with the plan.

Can I choose a traditional hourly rate?

Yes. You can choose traditional hourly rates (optional). We made it low and straightforward, at just $270 per hour (including GST), which is significantly less than other law firms in Australia. However, most matters are handled on a fixed fee basis as it is more cost effective for clients. Our clients prefer a fixed fee. 

What if I cannot afford to pay legal fees upfront?

We do not ask our clients to pay large amounts upfront. We offer clear payment plans. We can commence work on your matter without an initial deposit if you cannot afford one.

Do you charge for your travel and accommodation expenses in case my Court hearing is in a remote location or where you do not have a permanent office?

No, on 1 February 2020 we stopped charging clients for travel & accommodation. These expenses are on us. You pay for actual legal services and representation only.

How can I apply for Divorce if we separated, but continued living in the same home for 12 months prior to applying for divorce?

The general rule is that you must be separated for 12 months before filing an application for Divorce. This is known as ‘separation under the one roof’. In this case, you need to prove to the Court that you were separated during this time.

  • Sole application: This can be done by filing an affidavit yourself and an affidavit by an independent person (family member, friend or neighbour etc).
  • Joint application: If you are applying together with your spouse, you must each file a separate affidavit. If only one of you is able to file an affidavit, then you should also file an affidavit by an independent person.

In your affidavit, you need to prove that there has been a change in the relationship, gradual or sudden, demonstrating that you and your spouse have separated under one roof.

Book a free one hour

Existing clients:

08 6186 0085

New enquiries :

07 2113 4645